Are you looking to make a transition into pentesting but are overwhelmed or just don’t know how to get started? With numerous different types of engagements, operational phases, and a constant flood of new vulnerabilities hitting the industry, the journey into penetration testing can quickly become confusing.
Instructor: John Strand
Course Length: 16 Hours
Tuition: $575 USD
This page is for the On-Demand version of this course. Please check our Live Events Calendar for any live presentations of this class currently scheduled.
In this training course, we will examine the different types of penetration testing engagements and take a deep dive into establishing a repeatable testing methodology for executing quality tests. We will look at some tools of the trade to understand what they are doing under the hood, identify what separates a great finding from a good finding in reports, and really zero in on establishing your own methodology!
By the end of the training, you can expect to leave with a firm understanding of how pentests are executed and a newfound comfortability performing penetration tests. We will also provide numerous resources and tools that will help you pave your way into a pentesting career!
- Deep dive into different pentesting engagement types
- A solid methodology for executing pentests
- An introduction to numerous pentesting tools and resources
- Hands-on practice
- Guidance with transitioning into a pentesting career
Who Should Take This Course
- People wanting to get started in pentesting
- Anyone with an inquisitive thought process
- Companies hiring pentest firms or executing in-house pentests
- People comfortable with information technology
- Software developers, System admins, Database admins, Network engineers
- Helpdesk and IT support
Audience Skill Level
This course was prepared with everyone in mind but students who have a basic understanding of information technology, applications, or computer networks will likely feel comfortable with the content.
- Stable Internet access
- x86 architecture CPU clocked at 2 GHz or higher that is capable of nested virtualization
(Apple Silicon is currently not supported)
- A computer with at least 8 GB of RAM. 16 GB is recommended
- VMWare Workstation or VMWare Fusion
(VirtualBox and other VM software is not supported)
- Windows 10/11, MacOSX+, or a currently supported Linux Distribution
- Full Administrator/root access to your computer or laptop
What Students Will Be Provided With
- Course slides
- Virtual machine with pre-installed tools
- Resources and tools with instructions
About Our On-Demand Courses…
Learn at your own pace with access to course content, lectures, and demos in the Antisyphon On-demand learning platform. Many courses are offered with lifetime access to the course and content updates. On-demand courses include content update alerts, access to dedicated support channels in the Antisyphon Discord server, a certificate of completion, and complimentary access to the Antisyphon Cyber Range*.
* Cyber Range access and other course features may vary from course to course. See the specific details for each course on its registration page.
Trainer & Author
John Strand has consulted and taught thousands of classes and hundreds of organizations in the areas of security, regulatory compliance, and penetration testing. He is a coveted speaker and much-loved former SANS instructor and course author. John is a contributor to the industry shaping Penetration Testing Execution Standard and 20 Critical Security Controls frameworks.
In 2008, John founded Black Hills Information Security (BHIS), a pentesting company that strives to understand its clients from a holistic perspective, emphasizing collaboration and education over stunt hacking. Since then, BHIS has grown to become a “tribe of companies” that includes Antisyphon Infosec Training, Active Countermeasures (ACM), Wild West Hackin’ Fest (WWHF), and more!