Are you spending hours a day trawling through the online job sites and spending even more time filling out lengthy application forms with nothing to show for it? Something’s not working, but what could it be? Kip Boyle, a veteran hiring manager who has personally interviewed hundreds of job applicants as well as hired dozens of successful cybersecurity candidates, will teach you to think like a hiring manager and bend the hiring process to your advantage. After you taking this class, you’ll understand how to ace your resume, crush your interviews, and negotiate your ideal salary.
After taking this course, students will know:
- How the hiring process really works
- How to choose the best cybersecurity position for you
- Why no one is reading your resume (and how to fix that)
- Where to find open positions that are a great fit for you
- How to effectively network with others
- Why soft skills are so important
- What the interview process looks like to the hiring manager
- The types of interview questions you should expect
- How much you’re worth in the marketplace
- How to negotiate your compensation
- How to ace your first 90-days
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE
- Anyone who wants or needs to get a new cybersecurity position in the United States (although much of what we teach will be useful in other locations)
- Ideal for people who are trying to start their cybersecurity career as well as people who are already established in their cybersecurity career but want to change employers
- Designed for private sector employers as well as public agencies and government contractors
AUDIENCE SKILL LEVEL
Great for beginners as well as people who are already established in their cybersecurity career but want to change employers.
WHAT EACH STUDENT SHOULD BRING
You’ll get the most from this course if you already know the job you want, by title, along with the industry and size of employer you’d like to work for. Bring at least one job posting to work from during the exercises.
If you don’t already know these things, use our Mind Map to quickly select them. See the pinned Tweet at the top of the our @CyberPathMaker profile page — https://twitter.com/cyberpathmaker
Also, bring a willingness to ask questions and have an open mind to consider different (and possibly more effective) ways to become irresistible to hiring managers.
WHAT STUDENTS WILL BE PROVIDED WITH
- Copy of the course book in PDF format with all slides and notes
- Free DISC profile to discover your work preferences
- “Perfect Resume” template
- Worksheet: “How to Write Amazing Job History Bullets”
- Sample “salary survey” report
- Top 40 “hard skill” and Top 40 “soft skill” interview questions
TRAINER & AUTHOR
Kip Boyle is a husband, dad, small business owner, and experienced cybersecurity hiring manager. Over the years, Kip has built many InfoSec teams in a variety of settings including as a captain on active duty in the US Air Force, as the CISO of PEMCO Insurance in Seattle, and vCISO in his own company, Cyber Risk Opportunities LLC. Kip is a primary author and leader of the open source “Cybersecurity Hiring Manager Handbook”. He’s also the co-host of The Cyber Risk Management Podcast and the co-host of the Your Cyber Path Podcast.