In this class, Kip shows InfoSec supervisors how to build the team of their dreams. Students will learn how to attract and retain top tier talent. The kind of talented people who could work anywhere, but choose to work with you. Team members who get stuff done and don’t think much about changing employers.
What’s more, this kind of team throws open the door for you to become a powerful influencer on InfoSec strategy with your senior decision makers. Why? Because your team will let you work “on your program” instead of working “in your program.” And that will allow you to spend more time learning about the business your team protects and building relationships with the other top influencers across your organization.
After taking this course, students will know how to:
- Be intentional about creating a healthy working context for their team
- Use the “Hiring Manager Ideals” along with a lifecycle approach to finding and recruiting talented people
- Deal effectively with the hiring manager’s top 5 pain points
- Train their internal recruiters over in HR to be amazing allies
- Become a powerful influencer on InfoSec strategy with their senior decision makers
- Access the “Cybersecurity Hiring Manager Handbook”
- Use the Handbook as a reference in their team building work
- Contribute content to the Handbook and submit bug reports
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE
- Anyone who wants or needs to build a [blue|red|purple] team of InfoSec pros for any size company in any industry.
- Course content best aligns with private sector organizations, but there’s a lot in here for everyone.
AUDIENCE SKILL LEVEL
Ability to think “big picture” and be comfortable operating with uncertainty and the non-deterministic nature of people.
You’ll get the most from this class if you’re building a team now or will soon do so. But, anyone who is thinking of becoming a team builder in the future is welcome. The content is also useful to individual contributors who are trying to get into the head of the hiring manager to better understand their needs to increase their chances of getting hired or promoted.
WHAT EACH STUDENT SHOULD BRING
Your team building problems, willingness to ask questions, and an open mind to consider different (and possibly more effective) ways to do team building.
WHAT STUDENTS WILL BE PROVIDED WITH
- Copy of the course book in PDF format with all slides and notes
- HR Department Training Guide for Cybersecurity Recruiters
- Detailed instructions for accessing, using, and submitting change requests to the “Cybersecurity Hiring Manager Handbook” open source project
- Instructions for requesting access to the Cybersecurity Hiring Manager Slack channel
- 6 months of free access to our Cyber Range.
TRAINER & AUTHOR
Kip Boyle is a husband, dad, small business owner, and experienced cybersecurity hiring manager. Over the years, Kip has built many InfoSec teams in a variety of settings including as a captain on active duty in the US Air Force, as the CISO of PEMCO Insurance in Seattle, and vCISO in his own company, Cyber Risk Opportunities LLC. Kip is a primary author and leader of the open source “Cybersecurity Hiring Manager Handbook”. He’s also the co-host of The Cyber Risk Management Podcast and the co-host of the Your Cyber Path Podcast.
Tue, April 5, 2022 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM EST
Wed, April 6, 2022 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST
Thurs, April 7, 2022 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST
Fri, April 8, 2022 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST